Wednesday, September 16, 2015

28. Every action has a counter action. Just if you can see it or not.

The Poet Laureate instructed me through the radio to join the parade and find poetry there.
 I knew I should, but couldn't, because I'd been stuffed and sealed inside a rain barrel
 upside down, calorically deprived, despairing of discovery.

 I saw pictures of myself accidentally locked in a basement, standing in my underwear,
 holding a basket of freshly dried clothes as the parade proceeded along the street above.
 The cheers and shadows of marching legs passed over me.

 Maybe I was high in the power lines, too afraid to look down, the
 sound of bass drums and tubas below. Sweat dripped from my nose -
 a straining apprentice, with one end of a heavy cable in each hand.
 The journeyman, having climbed down to retrieve a forgotten tool
 quite some time ago, told me not to let go no matter what happened.

Meanwhile, the parade passes away, the crowd leaves, night falls, sweat drips.

1 comment: