Sunday, April 17, 2016

A Necessary Procedure

If you're reading this, please take the alabaster heart and bury it
In the Spring-softened ground under the lilac bushes where you live.
It's a good place for it to rest.

My gift was your burden, I never even asked you if you wanted it.
But know it was given in hope, honestly, but too heavy a thing - sorry.
What I meant to say was if you...then I would...always

My New Sun, not only my heart knew,  but even the translator told me so.
You couldn't cure loneliness, but I felt you shine, and you made me forget
Through that long beautiful day when you moved across my sky.

Now, I remember.  Your last message sent and received, read and re-read,
A confirmation of fears, a clinical incision but no surprise, you've been bracing me for this day.
Now I must find some new way to breathe, learn to write about something else.

That which restored me, pumped life through me, now joins the line of things trying to kill me.
Waking from surgery, empty room, new scars, the pain of absence and
At least some percent chance of a partial recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment