Saturday, July 1, 2017

Fifty-One

Another birthday coming
I guess I've learned to celebrate things
Like a full night of sleep, no physical pain, having some hair,
And my body sometimes working something like it did when I had
Fewer birthdays to my credit. I'm employed.
My kids are healthy and in my life.

The past year was for losing things and trying not to drown.
I didn't, but I still spend more time in the cemetery than anywhere else and
Seem tattooed with the idea that you never looked back, that it meant so little to you.
I kept the vigil anyway, not because I am more faithful, but because I had to somehow.
When hope died, I folded her hands upon her breast - her last breath was white and thin.
You can still wait without hope, no ticket for the bus, no service in this town.

Today, my heart is still the dog at the window.
Tomorrow, I will allow it to become something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment