Monday, July 9, 2018

Runner

Many times I've given up only to re-experience the pain of starting again. There's a belly here, fully formed, the kind that forces your navel to stare at the floor. It didn't exactly sneak up on me, but I guess maybe I care enough now to pay it some notice. Made a decision to take a month off from beer (August 7). Made another decision to get thirty minutes of exercise in the morning. Started today.

This is an achievement. I've been mostly dormant for a couple of years. Inspiration has been hard to come by. Haven't been able to convert the occasional spark to a sustained fire.

Set the timer and step off. A horsefly finds my head inside the first minute, and it's hot. Two minutes of walking, two minutes of easy running, and two minutes running a little harder than that. A sustained incline impedes my ability to conform to the plan. Anyway, I keep moving forward, breathlessly,  belly shaking, up and down hills, through the grass, in a kind of loop. It takes a little less than 25 minutes but I'm satisfied.

In the kitchen, I'm trying to breathe evenly. I'm drinking water, feeling sweat run down my face and body. Also feeling something moving quickly up my right leg. Ticks - two of them. This fucking place is cursed.

I'm not feeling very well at all. Call the credit card company to tell them to cancel the goddamn card which I paid off June 1st only to find a statement in the mailbox today complaining of a late payment and charging me a fee.  After cursing the auto-attendant for a few minutes, a man comes on the phone and says he wants to work with me, assures me me that I have value. like he's talking me down from the handrail of some suspension bridge. After hearing my grievance, he manages to reduce the balance from $47 to $7, and yes I would like to take care of that today, thank you.

The sweat stops after about half an hour, and, dry, I feel a little better about things. By bedtime, two more ticks have made themselves known.

No comments:

Post a Comment