Sunday, January 20, 2019

It's A Suck Day For Chickadees

It's a suck day for chickadees
   and for people who live outside
      and for you, maybe, all alone inside

I'm watching them through my window
   after a night of snow, followed now by rain
      and ice, that bastard, turning foul weather into cruel

Clearing the feeders of crusted snow, adding sunflower seeds
   I can hear them tweeting up in the bare trees
      I think to offer them food out of the palm of my hand
         Half realize the vanity and stop

I thought about the roosting shelter seen in a catalogue and not purchased
   And about the people living in tents under the Houston overpasses I walked by
      And those little smirking shits gathered around that Native elder drumming and
          Singing for their healing, all alone

No comments:

Post a Comment