Friday, April 16, 2021

Back home

On the road by 2 AM this morning and we probably saw no more than ten cars, tops,  on the highway between Niles and Pittsburgh. There was an eerie feeling to that absence that we both laughed about. Some of the TSA employees at the Pittsburgh airport have lousy authoritarian attitudes. I've noticed this on other trips too. One was talking to the group of us like we were a bunch of military recruits or convicts. The advantage to wearing a mask is that you can vocalize your thoughts without detection. And I did so. The flight was uneventful even though I knocked my slumping sleeping head against the seat in front of me more than once. Landing in Boston was rainy with a Northeast wind blowing off the water. Up on the higher ground, I drove home into six inches of snow and slippery roads. A nap was the the right thing upon arrival. The house was cold because I'd shut the heat off while leaving assuming Spring had secured the beachhead. But you can't really ever be sure of that until about the 4th of July around here. I was glad to see I'd cleaned the kitchen before I left and removed the heap of accumulated papers from the table. It made it easier to re-enter. The silence of the place - the only sound being a continuous high-pitched tone in my ears - is not hard to bear. It feels almost right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment