Friday, March 8, 2024

Hometown

The conversation with the two sixty-something women in the laundromat was insane. They wanted to know why I think Trump is a disaster for the country and then looked at me waiting like - see, you can't even think of one single reason. It's true, I was flabbergasted to the point of speechlessness. 

Let me ask you this, one of the ladies said. So you think it's fine that Biden took a shower with his daughter?

I left there with clean laundry and ugly thoughts feeling hopeless for the entire American experiment. For humanity. 

Earlier, the cashier at the pharmacy wanted to put my two or three small items in a plastic bag. I told her I didn't need a bag. She looked puzzled and continued to put the items into the bag. You know, one less plastic bag snagged up in the tree branches? You must not be married, she said with a frown. We use them in the bathroom.

I'm not married, I told her. But I do have a bathroom. And I use plastic bags in there too, but I only need like one not one-hundred. She was still frowning as I wrangled my unbagged items out of there. 

If we're still stupid at this point, it's an apocalyptic lifestyle choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment