Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Pursuit Predation

Arrived at work a full hour early due to the World Series victory and half the state taking the day off to scream at the parade. Time enough to take a walk in sub-freezing temperatures felt along the fingers and across the cheekbones, a quickening in the lungs with each breath drawn. Up a residential side street quiet with occasional renters and owners taking out trash or leaving for work.

I don't belong here. Some of them have suspicious eyes which suggest as much. When their eyes touch me, I begin to change.

Made a left turn downhill toward the river. Two pedestrians merged onto the same street heading in the same direction on the opposite sidewalk. They are walking together. They are wearing hooded sweatshirts like me. Unlike me, their hoods are up. I cannot see their faces. They walk quickly. A minute after I notice them, one of them peels right without speaking and enters a house.

She is now aware of me so walks faster trying to stay ahead. Something in her alertness changes me further in the direction the eyes started to. Her face is covered, but I can see her breath. She is wearing leggings. I know why she is out here so early, what moves her so quickly.

Everything looks different now but the river. She cuts across the grass and enters a condominium complex. I've changed completely. Someone else is possible again.

Everything's turned brown and is glazed in frost. Fog rises a few feet above the surface of the Merrimack. People passing in cars try to look at my eyes, but I am wearing sunglasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment