Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Desert Thoughts

Now I have these desert scenes in my head. Maybe I could live there, about 25 miles outside a border town, with the wind, the space, and the mountains. Maybe, over time, I'd get to know a coyote well enough to throw bones to. Maybe we'd study each other in the near distance and wonder what happened.

The sign at the entrance says this was once a Comanche crossroads. They describe the Comanches as bandits, slavers, and murderers and the Texans (the white ones I'm guessing), stretched thin by the Civil War, are quite obviously the good guys who had to endure these abuses. I wasn't there. I'm just taking a walk.

I am walking up one of the few hills in Big Spring on the paved loop trail around the state park at dusk. I come alongside another walker who slips into conversation with me as though we had been talking right along. She says her husband has been dead for a few years now. Her first boyfriend and best friend, they married in high school when she got pregnant. He quit school, got his GED, and went to work. They had almost 40 years married and happy when he died suddenly - right in front of her - of a massive heart attack. Very quietly she tells me that she felt so helpless. For a moment, I can feel that.

No comments:

Post a Comment