Monday, December 9, 2019

Oh, Magoo! You've done it again.

Always have been scatterbrained and distractable. I have a hard time staying focused. I'm someone who should make checklists, but that requires organization, motivation and routine. I do not enjoy routine. Boring. Feels like a prison cell, smells like paint.

Anyway just to keep things from getting monotonous, I got up at 2:30AM for a 6:30 AM flight, packed the few things I unpacked on Saturday morning, and was on my way. I drove the hour to the garage I park in, was happy to find a space inside, opened the back door to remove my backpack and tiny suit case and found the suitcase absent without leave. The tiny suitcase was at home, sleeping on the couch, just where I'd packed it.

This of course would cause me to miss my flight. I called the wonderful people at the airline. Someone answered the phone. He informed me that for no extra cost, I could fly stand by, but each of the three remaining flights to Dallas today were overbooked, making my chances of getting aboard skinnier than slim. He could reroute me through Phoenix though, and I'd arrive in West Texas about 8 hours later than planned, and it would cost me about 500 additional dollars.

Can't really charge the company for my mistake, so I opted to burn some frequent flyer miles. They gladly accepted fifty thousand of them. Now I am on my way to Phoenix where I will have a long lay over and likely end up drunk.

An old white guy can't have a Chinese houseboy with a braid and buck teeth today without being horrible, but someone like Charlie - who ran around with frantic devotion saving Mr. Magoo from the consequences of his own actions - would probably do me a lot of good.


No comments:

Post a Comment