Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Haze



This one part of Southwest Texas has kind of burrowed into me. Out near Big Bend where there was no one around with those mountains in the distance. I want to walk there, climb them, sit on top in the hot, dry breeze. I want to drift like I used to in a kind of fever dream back and forth across the border between languages and worlds and find the current of magic that runs through. I want to meet that girl at the disco on Sunday afternoon, no more than a handful of people in there, sometimes only the two of us, the DJ, and the bartender. Unable to speak each other's language, we drank a little then danced and sweat together all afternoon and late into the night. At the end of the evening, she hugged me passionately, smiled happily, and went on her way. I would find her there again the next Sunday. And if I couldn't be there, I'd yearn to be.

I'm not doing that now. I miss the acuity.

No comments:

Post a Comment