Sunday, February 2, 2020

Holyoke Dusk

Jack and I went to the town library together so he could knock out his Social Studies before going to his friend's house for a Super Bowl party. I lifted someone's 504 page collected works off the shelf and spent an hour reading though it. A poet - the professional kind - who probably has a lofty faculty position somewhere, gets paid to show up and do readings, gives authoritative interviews, and is probably quoted frequently. I read a significant portion of his work - early, middle and late - and I didn't feel anything. That sucks. That really sucks. The culmination of a lifetime of effort.

What did you think?

Well, I was unmoved. 

What makes a writer write? What keeps a writer writing? Who is he writing for?

I saw bare trees filled with crows silhouetted against the Holyoke dusk tonight, and I wanted to show someone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment