Friday, February 28, 2020

Magical thinking of my own

Woke up just now without an alarm at exactly the time I planned to when I laid down last night. The timing wasn't great though because I'd been ordering ice cream at a counter with a Mexican girl. We were giggling quietly at all the choices, standing close, like you do when something is new. She was bumping me gently with her hip, and I was smiling easily. It had the makings of a good day.

May it carry over into this one, as I've got things to accomplish today. Things that have accumulated, things procrastinated upon, and today is the day I aim to tackle them. I need some coffee beans and postage stamps first though.

Last night a determined wind pushed a cold front in here. The moon was just a crescent with it's two horns pointing up, and there was a visible planet aligned with it off to its right. I meant to google it later to find out if it was Venus, but I didn't.

At the counter of a burger place, I was waiting for the food to cook. A girl siting there told me she was waiting for her mother who was, in turn, waiting for a cab.

She is planning on getting her GED and then to go on to college and, after that, further on to become an actress. She told me that acting asks a lot of you.

I said I thought that was very cool and asked if she'd ever acted before.

Yes, she said confidently, in a play when she was in the third grade.

My heart filled and then broke so I put the now completed cheeseburger and fries into my insulated bag, wished her good night, and stepped off into the night.

She wished me a great night which made me feel careless and stingy. People don't have much protection out here. Sometimes you don't want to leave them alone.

The weird moon and planet constellation was still out there when I stepped back into the wind. I felt it staring down at me, wanting me to notice how beautiful and strange it was. I could tell it had something to do with the wind's horseplay by the rough and tender way it jostled me.

Yeah, it was Venus. Google just told me so.

No comments:

Post a Comment