Thursday, February 6, 2020

Bittersweet

Last night brought me a mix of rain, snow and sleet here at the hermitage. This morning I was surprised to see visitors in the backyard. Two eastern bluebirds, two American robins, several chickadees, a nuthatch, and a woodpecker. It must be the berries of the bittersweet that brought them in. They have apparently achieved the proper level of fermentation.

Those were the first robins of the year. It's early for them, but then natural rhythms are shifting unnaturally. And the bluebirds. I've not seen them since you and I discovered those nine, together, perched in just about the same place, among the snow blanketed branches. My Deepak did it's thing immediately when I noticed them.

I went and found my glasses, thought of you, and watched them until they moved on. I felt the memory of your presence without any pain or sorrow accompanying it. It just made me smile, and I embraced it all.

Love. You don't really have to be here for that, but I'd feel better if your were.

No comments:

Post a Comment