Sunday, March 29, 2020

Reality check

1.

Maybe it's the rain that's making me feel more immobile than usual, or maybe it's just my lack of a plan. Regardless, today I'm going to clean some of this house.

2.

Yes, Barry Manilow, it could be magic. Your soaring strings got me all atingle. Thanks to Midnight Cafe Radio in Flushing, New York for a strangely blissful solo kitchen cleaning experience.

If you find yourself running out of music during your confinement, check out the Radio Garden app. It's free and it gives you access to radio all over the world.

3.

We've decided it's probably better for me not to see my boys this weekend. The household they're living in has been pretty strictly quarantined during the past week. I have been too, for the most part. But why risk it? Contact has become deadly. I'm alone through this.

Thankfully I've been training for this for the better part of four years, so the alone part ain't shit to me. The helpless part takes some getting used to though.

The phone rang early this afternoon and startled me. A coworker just died of a heart attack. He was a brilliant, seasoned, humorous, hard working man and an unrelenting force for good in a world where that's not always recognized or valued. He had the unenviable task of trying to impose some kind of order on propagating chaos every day. He never forgot that beyond the chaos were vulnerable people.

I just learned on social media that the super-human-songwriter, John Prine,  has been intubated. He's got this virus, and it's looking grim for him.

Now it's people you know. Now it's real. 

No comments:

Post a Comment