Saturday, March 7, 2020

Children

I woke up grinding my teeth after learning I'd scored a 75 on a math test. And the unsympathetic, unmotivated teacher said there weren't going to be anymore tests this quarter. There would be no chance to improve my grade.

An old friend from junior high school tells me we have gone well past the tipping point, as far as the climate - and everything else - goes. I too believe this, on some level, but I also think it's wrong to accept it. Given this, I don't know why I'm still worried about math.

There are children in the world. Many, many of them. We owe them our best.

I think of you the way you were back then, having nothing else to go on, but things have changed and you're a mother now. I wonder how that experience has changed your life, and if it has changed your heart.

Once, when we were together and things were good between us, I daydreamed about you and a little girl. I saw the two of you holding hands. She was three or four years old and tiny, but she moved with confidence like you do. She had thick black hair, was holding your hand, and looking up at you. You were both smiling and full of mischief. I could see the strength of your connection and that made me feel very good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment