Saturday, May 16, 2020

Mileage

I went to get an inspection sticker today on a car with nearly 300,000 miles on it.
The owner of the garage is a kid I grew up with. He's suffering back pain today.
I watched him walking gingerly across the lot. He's always been strong as a bull.
Looks like an old man now. Like me, I'm guessing.

She said she was the only one left. She said the others were all dead.
Thankfully or tragically she mostly forgets what happens pretty quickly.
She's got that disease that takes everything from you in reverse order
Starting with what just happened and working back until you can't swallow properly

Or even breathe.
Covid-19 took seventeen people in her house in a matter of days
Including her roommate. Now she's positive, doing her puzzles,
Not remembering that she's fearing for her life.


No comments:

Post a Comment