Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Pretend that you're retired

The Governor has wisely mandated the wearing of masks in public, beginning today. I've been pretty good about staying away from people and public spaces, but today I have decided I must obtain a birdbath. Yeah, I know, white privilege.

The first place I go has curbside pick up only, and I'm not sure of exactly the type of birdbath I need, so I press on.

The Tractor Supply store sells many things but not birdbaths. I manage to buy a pair of work gloves, 20 pounds of dried corn for the squirrels, 20 pounds of black sunflower seed for the birds, a squirrel baffle - to set some boundaries, and two bricks of suet. The magazine and book rack offers to teach self-reliance, rural living knowledge and skills, Prepper conspiracy theory, bug out guns and Jesus Christ.

"Good morning, Doctor" another customer says.  A commentary on our surgical masks.
"You ever burp in one of these things? It's a whole new experience, let me tell you."

On to the Super Walmart, cousin to the one the City shut down because it had 80 something infected employees. No bird baths here. No 20 pound dumbbells either (an after thought). So I pick up a couple of frozen dinners, cottage cheese, milk and a pleasant lemonade-iced tea combination beverage.

There's a nursery open on the way home. They happen to carry a wide variety of cement birdbaths. I select one with a smooth, shallow basin for easy maintenance.

I drive home, set it up, and call it a day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment