Friday, July 24, 2020

I Nearly Got Rooked By a Counterfeit Awkwafina

She sent me a short message without caps or punctuation. That's a generational thing, I thought to myself. I also thought maybe she was saying hello because I was a new Instagram follower. Pretty cool of her, right? I failed to notice the misspelling of her name or the fact that she only had 35 followers.

I told her I was a fan of her performance in "The Farewell" and of the movie itself. And that I hadn't yet seen "Nora From Queens".  And that I read somewhere that she donated 100% of the proceeds from her music to music education for the kids of NYC.

Respect, I said.

She wrote back the next day. Said music education meant a lot to her as a kid. Asked me where I was from and what I did. I told her and asked how she was handling things, what with Covid and the world turning upside down and all.

She said, Am so sad this morning covid wants to ruin all I worked hard for now I am about to lose my investment funds.

Really?, I said.

She went on to explain that she kept some documents and two and a half million dollars away from her management in a safety deposit box at a security company that was shutting down and they're trying to avoid media buzz and she just doesn't have the leisure time to go there in person to get the stuff.

Can you be of assistance to me?

In what way?

All you need is to send me your home address and e-mail so I can forward to the delivery company letting them know you are interested.

Gee, a star wants my address!

Yeah. What's wrong about that? A star in need is a humble star. Ain't you happy?


No comments:

Post a Comment