Saturday, August 22, 2020

Providence Laundromat

A Providence laundromat is
As good a place as any on a hot afternoon
The owner speaks Spanish, he's Dominican I think
Seems to make a fuss over me, making change and getting me a card
Showing me where everything is and how everything works
Everybody's darker than me here - a woman smiles shyly and
Some men stare openly, suspicious.
I'm washing clothes - that's all.
Happened to be here with a basket of dirty laundry in my car
And a couple of hours of free time.
Unlikely, I know but
Mostly true.

Another light skinned man comes in with a dark skinned girl
And a mountain of laundry between them in several giant laundry bags.
He's wearing a T-shirt that says
SCARED MONEY DON'T MAKE MONEY.
Later, I'm waiting in my car for the machine to run it's course.
I'm not scared, but there's a pandemic on and we should give each other space.
He's in the car next to mine smoking weed with the windows closed
And the music turned up very loud.
He's in his head looking like he's just trying to keep it together.
I walk to the 7-11 looking for cold water.
It's very hot. Hace mucho calor.
I know a little Spanish, but not very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment