Friday, October 30, 2020

Humble pie guy

The Emergency Department nurse was attacking me in a feigned attempt to bite. My job was to disengage, not get bit, and exit the vicinity. Not a problem (it's just practice). They teach you to shuffle away,  to maintain your center and your balance, to keep your hands raised. I guess I was feeling kind of playful after the tenth repetition and instead of shuffling back I kind of pirouetted. I wear a size 14 sneaker. They apparently became tangled in one another. I went down fast with a room shaking crash. This was my first bonafide  fall as an aging man. It would have certainly earned me a fall risk bracelet had I been a patient. Think about that. Not a slip or a stumble, when you catch yourself and recover, but a-full-on-bust-yo-ass-fall. Humbling. Yes.

Another young ED nurse - after she realized I was alright - dryly said,  "I think she won."

No comments:

Post a Comment