Thursday, December 31, 2020

A fragment of an incoherent closing speech

In 2020, I learned that great nations fail. 

I also learned a few smaller, more personal lessons. Such as, I prefer being alone and in silence to chatty video meet ups. There are a very few exceptions to that, but not many. Also, I am late in discovering podcasts. And for the most part, after two or three episodes, I am absolutely sick of hearing the caster's voice. 

Much of what we are is inane and disappointing, I can't help thinking. That's not news, I know, but I have been confined with this knowledge. I have been left here to smell myself.

I'll get off right here, I tell the driver. Speak to me in a foreign tongue or let me alone. Leave me now to walk down unfamiliar roads. Let all this repetitious marketing of fakery and shite fall to rubble. I don't want to see your faces influencing anymore. I am bone tired and soul weary of your amazing. This and the propaganda "news" networks are quite probably what caused Nature to rise in shame and annoyance and smite us with this plague.

It's not China, friends. It's hubris. 

So let me stand outside these prison walls and feel the cold edge of the wind against my skin. Let me hear the true voice of my own heart. Let the new day rise and burn away the falsehoods for evermore. Let us bellow righteously, "Vaccinate these poor bastards!

And, in closing, let us evolve into something more closely resembling humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment