Sunday, April 25, 2021

Life lesson

I often remember at this time of year a lesson you taught me as a child
Inside the cool shade of the small barn 
Small me exploring history and mystery
A baby black bird has fallen the ten feet from it's nest in the rafters
Onto a billowy cushion of sifted dirt with the consistency of powdered sugar
Orange beak, closed eyes, featherless
Moving, chirping, mouth open 
Seeking the source of its feeding
My assessment was that it was unharmed
Only displaced
So I ran to find help
Which should have been you
You walked into the barn behind me 
I'm running, pointing to the nest and to the baby on the ground
You picked up a long-handled square shovel from the corner
And without words hit that bird with the flat of that shovel
Depressing its body into that soft pillow of dust
A cloud, like smoke, rolled out in simultaneous waves 
From under the four sides of the shovel
You said nothing
Like some hateful zen master with a warning
Who somewhere got the fundamentals twisted
When you'd gone
I buried the baby bird
And I never asked for your help again

No comments:

Post a Comment