Saturday, April 10, 2021

Training

I walked about eleven miles out and back on the trail in the late afternoon yesterday. I carried a little over a liter of water and nothing else. On the way out, I was worried about the time constraints of the pilgrimage I hope to do. I'll need to put in at least 20 miles a day, if not 25, if I hope to complete the entire route in a month. 

So I went out pretty fast (for me). Saw a reflection of my face gleaming with sweat in a brook's pool. Passed a short backpacker with a beard and huge calves on the trail and exchanged only a cursory greeting. After two hours of walking, I turned around. 

The return trip took longer. My feet seemed clumsier and I was not lifting them as high. Rocks, and roots and slippery oak leaves threatened. My head felt hollow and woozy. My mind wanted to drift off to somewhere else and not pay attention to where I was placing my feet. Or to the aching in my feet and the feeling of general weakness and energy loss that was overtaking me. Humbling. 

Lessons learned. Be prepared. Proceed with caution. Don't worry about speed and distance. Put one foot and front of the other and stay present. Bring snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment