Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Fork

It was likely alcohol that killed him, but nobody said it out loud. 

The last time I drank a Mai-Tai, I remembered how he'd down three to everyone else's one and then start buying rounds of Kamikazes for the group. By the end of the night he'd usually assaulted, or at the very least, insulted someone. 

The Japanese place had a live band Thursday nights. Once, the two of us sang Papa Was A Rolling Stone together in place of the singer. 

Shortly after he hired me, I learned that when someone asked if you were going to the gym after work they meant the neighborhood bar around the corner. 

The first time that we drank together, we went hard. I think he wanted to find out who I was. To get the measure of my character. 

I saw him clearly then and told him so. I told him I could see the same demon in him as I have in me. I told him I wouldn't be able to hang out with him too often.

Bahala Na!  He knew what that meant and lived it.

The demon's eyes are emerald green. 

I had a young wife and a new born baby then. And I chose them instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment