Friday, June 11, 2021

Global positioning

That person becomes your central point of reference. Home. 

Everywhere you go and everything you do is in relation to that reference point. Your route back to it is continuously recalculated throughout the day. The route back is your central concern, no matter what else is happening. Simultaneously though, there's a second central concern. And one day, in an act of self-fulfillment, the second concern comes to be. Not to be, actually. The central point of reference can no longer be located on your GPS. There's no route back. 

Homeless is the new state of being. Sure, you're housed (let's not be dramatic), but one place is now as good as any other. As no good, actually. You don't need a GPS or continuous recalculation. You don't have to concern yourself with the possibility of it not being there when you get back. It's a relief, really.

But sometimes when you wake up, in darkness or in daylight, or when you lay down to sleep, your internal eye scans the horizon for a central point of reference, and you remember yet again that there isn't one. You sink a little. That feeling can ruin your day. 

I spent a few minutes talking with someone I had to talk with at work today. I was glad for the interaction to be over. I was glad to then walk across the parking lot, to get into my car, and to drive away. I was glad there was no one waiting for me in the place I was driving to. 

There isn't anyone I want to do that with anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment