Friday, January 14, 2022

I'm made of and by the algorithm

I went to the diner for lunch today but, this time, everything about it was wrong somehow. I wanted to leave before the food arrived. The voices talking and laughing. The words they said. Scripted nonsense. I felt like I could write what they were going to say next for the rest of the conversation. For the rest of eternity. 

A couple of hours later, I read about the experience I'd just had..

"Sometimes, when I least expect it, the suffocating quality of the ordinary takes me by the throat and I feel physically sickened by the voices and gestures of my so-called fellow man. That genuine nausea, felt in my stomach and in my head, is the foolish wonderment of an alert sensibility...Each individual who speaks to me, each face whose eyes meet mine, has the same impact on me as a direct insult or foul language. I overflow with a horror of everything. I grow dizzy feeling myself feel that." 

Thank you, Senhor Pessoa. Exactly. But what are you doing in my head?

No comments:

Post a Comment