Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Refinancing

He called to check on the status of my paperwork. I've been kind of slow.
He first helped me refinance when I got divorced. It was a particular low.
Now, it's time to refinance again and his checking in serves as a milepost.
Remembering the last time, I can see I'm in a better place. And so is he.

Not everyone makes it through, he says, having just lost a friend to suicide.
Handsome, athletic, divorced, and just passed 50. He leaves three kids behind.
He himself lost his partner some time ago to a fentanyl overdose. No stranger.
January is especially hard for him, he tells me.

Are you seeing anyone, he asks me. Now why would I do that, I answer. 
We laugh. I tell him I notice things like the sun rising and setting. 
This morning, the pink sky along the ridge silhouetting the church steeple.
Those days are gone for me, I want to say, but I'm trying to keep it upbeat.

Yes, I did survive those years of watching my family dissolve, of
becoming a stranger to myself, of financial collapse and of the taste of 
rejection in my mouth. I did that. And now I'm out to sea, just as you are. 
We can sink or float or swim in whatever direction we choose. It's great.




No comments:

Post a Comment