Monday, January 17, 2022

Wishful

She traveled alone to the opposite coast for the first time in her life. She'd imagined it in her mind first, over and over again. 

I wanted it to be all of that for her and more, but there were problems, and she missed a connecting flight. There were delays and cancelations to wade through, but she finally made it to her hotel. I felt somehow proud of her. 

She stayed in her room mostly, feeling introverted, and fell ill on the second day. I felt sorry and helpless.

I would have liked to be there to get her out and show her around. To treat her to crab cakes or something. To take care of her. But I stayed in my room too, a thousand miles away, feeling introverted. 

She shouldn't have traveled home in that condition, but she couldn't afford to stay any longer. I would have liked to pick up the tab for her room, but I couldn't do that either.

No comments:

Post a Comment