Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Sing anyway

I judged a karaoke contest last night in which the prize was one thousand dollars. I shared the responsibility with two other men in their fifties. We didn't know each other. One of them brought two or three of his friends along. They very drunk reminding me of the dumbest guys I remember from high school and their budding alcoholism projected 35 years into the future. 

It was discouraging. Hard to do the job with these morons singing twice as loud as the featured singer and positioned between me and the stage. I moved my seat, not caring at all if it was rude.

We were given a one to ten scale to work with. Ten represented the best. There were about twenty singers. Probably fifteen of them were very good. Five of them earned a ten in my book. There could only be one winner though. 

More than a few people were really hoping for that prize money. Several of them looked me in the eyes  during the course of the evening seeking a sign of hope. It's sad really. Nearly everyone doesn't win. 

No comments:

Post a Comment