Friday, June 3, 2022

Do your best

Burned a vacation day sitting in my mechanic's waiting area again sending overly terse work e-mails and approving the medical procedures necessary to earn my high-mileage vehicle a state inspection sticker which I've managed to avoid getting for eleven months resulting in several meetings with regional town and state police officers. 

I feel an affinity for this vehicle. I respect its loyalty and do my best to reciprocate it. Loyalty is a word that'll be dropped from the lexicon for good any day now. A quaint notion to be jettisoned in time.

That's about fifteen hundred dollars I've invested in the past month and the last time I'll do so. I resign myself to this grim decision here and now. Tires, brakes and oil changes - sure, that's just regular maintenance - of course I'll do that. 

I had hours to sit and think and agonize and work out the particulars of the Do Not Resuscitate order while my car was out there raised up on the lift, under anesthesia, dreaming something beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment