Saturday, June 25, 2022

Read or listen to Louise Erdrich

I'm slow to adopt new technologies. For instance, I think it's wrong to watch movies or listen to music on a phone. It seems disrespectful to the experience of film and music somehow. Cheapening. I feel the same way about audio books. 

But I have a long commute featuring miles of broken-up car radio reception, so I thought I'd give them a try. I listened to two works of non-fiction first and almost cancelled my subscription. The human voice is both glorious and tedious. I discovered that tedium is bottomless. The readers were more than I could bear. And the writing didn't hold my attention. I found myself in a state of unfocused annoyance. Not exactly the therapeutic experience I was looking for.

That is until I listened to The Night Watchman written and read by Louise Erdrich. Her voice is nuanced and can embody multiple characters. I could listen to that voice almost any time. She's a storyteller, in the Native way, through and through. The detailed heart-wrenching accuracy of her writing grabbed me immediately.

I'm not a literary critic. I don't have the vocabulary, the skillset, or the audacity. But she writes so you can smell, see, hear and - most importantly - feel it all. I hope to read more of her in book form soon with my hands and my eyes. But in the meantime, I will listen to everything she's created. 

Tom Waits is credited with having said, "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things." There is so much of that in these. 

No comments:

Post a Comment