Saturday, October 29, 2022

Better

It's been a week alright. You wanted full engagement. You wanted to lose that permanent feeling of drowsiness. And so it seems you have. For now. Now, you're standing in there at home plate while 100 pitchers throw their favorite stingers all at the same time. It's a job and then some. So be it. Cuts are still being made. People whose names I finally learned yesterday are gone today. The ground is shaky and the ceiling seems to be sagging and I'm afraid to lean against the walls, but that's the work. Do with what you have. They keep coming in. During the week, sleep's become a problem because my brain is trying to solve it. Last night, Friday night, I walked around Alston and Brighton after work. All the restaurants jammed with brilliant Chinese kids from Harvard, MIT, Boston University, Boston College, far from home and finding their way. I did that ghost thing I do and was content with that. On the drive back to Worcester, I was tempted to go out again, but instead I yawned all the way home and was in bed by 9:30. I slept for at least ten hours. This morning the trees are just about bare. The last phase of Autumn begins. I'm drinking coffee and listening to a crow. Not bad at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment