Friday, November 11, 2022

Veteran's Day

Veteran's Day. They gave me a free haircut at a place I stumbled into while not expecting a free haircut and I left appreciative. I put the pack on my back later and headed out into the remnants of a humid tropical storm for three miles up over the power lines. 

Happy Veteran's Day!, the young woman who cut my hair had said. I don't think it's that kind of holiday, I thought but didn't say back to her. 

I watched a You Tube video featuring a former soldier who'd unintentionally blown a boy's head off with a shotgun in Iraq while breaching a door. After coming home, a few years deep in the abyss of heroin addiction, a stint in prison, lots of therapy and the birth of his own son (now about the same age as the boy he killed), he can finally talk about what he did. 

Don't say, Happy Veterans Day! like you're at a child's birthday party. And don't ask what he did to earn that free haircut.

No comments:

Post a Comment