Wednesday, March 1, 2023

This is how you spend your dreams?

We are packed cheek to jowl in a sweltering courtyard. Someone insists on mounting a bicycle which is a special kind of selfishness and absurdity because there's no space to move through and nowhere to go. We talk as if speaking to him. Yeah, that looks like a good idea. Asshole. 

It's very hot. I'd like you to pedal just as fast as you can, sir,  I quip, although he cannot hear me, just to add some levity to the situation. The man closest to me smiles wryly. We are suffering here together and no one likes it much. 

When I stretch my neck and look up, I can feel the hot sun shining on my face. I am taller than most in the crowd, except for the fool in the bike helmet standing on his pedals going nowhere, and this action provides me with a momentary and unexpected feeling of spaciousness. I feel the pain of everyone, I say aloud to no one in particular.

No comments:

Post a Comment