Saturday, September 16, 2023

Rail trail

I went for a run around dusk on the rail trail. You and I ran there once or twice about ten years ago. I remember you as competitive. "Keep up," you'd often say. It was a cool evening and I just took my time on this one. Base building is mostly done with time on your feet. I'm going to need a broad base for an 84 hour trip exactly a year from now. Fifty-one minutes last night. That's the longest run I've taken in recent memory.

Later, on a cool sunny afternoon as the winds of the outside edge of a hurricane blew through the leaves, I strapped on a 35 pound pack and walked a seven mile loop over roots and rocks, up and down small hills. That's a good training loop. I plan to use it more in the future with my house as the resupply - eat, drink and rest. I need some wool hiking socks though. My feet began to squawk a little in their soggy cotton toward the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment