Monday, September 11, 2023

Who?

The new phone arrives via UPS in the middle of a deluge. The driver, wearing a large transparent plastic bag, places my phone, boxed and wrapped inside another transparent plastic bag, on my doorstep. I unbox the phone, which I need to perform the job I am paid to do and could not do today, and read about the sim card installation. I'm supposed to be installing the sim card from my old phone into this new phone so that the elements of my old life can be transferred into this new space and I can pick up much as I was, right from where I left off, on Friday late afternoon. But that old sim card is lost in the world and I have only this new one to install. A blank slate free of apps, contacts, photographs, text messages, voice mails, and e-mails. I am a man free of history at this moment. Weightless and without depth or substance.

No comments:

Post a Comment