Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Before I start work

I got out of the house after work and found some space between there and the sun's setting to walk about 5 miles in the woods. February thaw. Two days of temperatures above 50 degrees. The surface of the dirt roads is a mixture of melting snow, mud, and wet ice. The perfect surface for a graceless slip and a humiliating fall. I remained mindful and was apparently lucky enough to avoid that experience this time around. I noticed lots of evidence of the recent presence of others. Footprints - dog and human. Bicycle tire tracks. I felt fortunate to have this place to myself in this moment. The experience of being out there changed my mind in the way I needed it to. I watched the blue hour unfold and returned to the car as the darkness arrived. The rain started at about the time I went to bed and continued through the night. When the sun rose, it was still raining. The squirrels stayed inside. I thought of how much I love the way a chickadee descends to the bird feeder writing its short poem in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment