Saturday, February 24, 2024

Go where the day takes you

She was drumming and singing and helping me to let go of a lot of shit. My eyes were closed. Tears began to leak from the outside corners. Three beings seemed to be standing around me with their love and support. 

The beach was mostly deserted. Exactly as I needed it to be. I walked down close to the surf looking for heart-shaped stones. She said that if I found one I should pick it up. I found several and filled the pockets of my sweatshirt. They weren't perfectly heart-shaped, but we often see the way we feel. A lonely man on a desolate beach weighing himself down with stones on a gray day may give off a certain impression. But that wasn't me today. I wanted to stay. 

During my time on that beach, I saw three others. A man methodically beach combing with his metal detector in the far distance; a woman who walked slowly down to the edge of the surf squatted there for a minute looking out across the ocean then stood and returned the way she came; and a man moving toward me wearing a cowboy hat and a hi-vis orange jacket accompanied by a very large dog. As they got closer, I realized the large dog was actually a tiny draft horse and it was pulling the man who stood on what appeared to be a homemade four-wheeled scooter. 

I wanted to walk as far as I could see, but it started to rain and I was getting hungry. As I got back in the car, I remembered seeing a hand-painted sign shaped like an arrow - ANGELS -  at an intersection. Let's go back there and see where it takes us. It was late afternoon and I hadn't eaten anything yet. 

Westport, Massachusetts. I saw a sign for Lees Market, a parking lot, and a long low roofed building. What a beautiful store. It made me hungry for everything. I bought a few items to take home - Lees own buffalo dip and a box of crackers, a package of store made chorico, a raspberry long john, shrimp Mozambique over spaghetti, and a store-baked French meat pie. They have a small sitting area and a long prepared food counter. I scooped up some of the catch of the day with yellow rice, sat down, and ate happily. 

The people there had a healthy look that seems to come with living in close proximity to the ocean. I could see traces of Portuguese in a lot of them. Black haired and dark eyed women. Ordinary beauty seen with fresh eyes. 

When I was through, it was nearly dusk. I went looking for more ANGELS signs and soon found one. It pointed me out past a defunct dairy farm with it's collapsing silo and led me out to Sodom Road. Apparently angels are truly everywhere.



No comments:

Post a Comment