Monday, March 25, 2024

Anthony De Mello

I don't like to think of you as a drug. I don't like to think of separation as withdrawal. But if I play it out and think through what your return would mean to me, it looks a lot like that. My imagination says it would mean the end of heart sickness, renewed vitality and happiness, an idol to worship returned to its temple. The cosmic order restored. 

Such is how it would feel to have my craving relieved. But inherent in the high is the next low. Misery is already moving back in. All of this is a diagnostic indicator of clinging. Of looking outside for what's inside. 

Loneliness is the suffering that comes with missing other people. Aloneness is the feeling that comes from enjoying oneself. I heard this on a deeper level today. We continue to learn what we already know, over and over, until we finally understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment