Saturday, March 23, 2024

Ice storm

Spring has arrived bringing ice along with it. I just heard a branch break under the weight as I began to type. I'd asked for birds recently and they've arrived - chickadees, finches, nuthatches, tufted titmice, cardinals, woodpeckers, mourning doves, and another kind the name of which I cannot remember right now. The freezing rain makes the feeders all the more inviting. I've watched the activity all morning and am starting to notice social order, etiquette, bonding and the competitive drive. I heard a strange large singular whoooosh at one point and noticed a band of at least one-hundred marauding blackbirds had descended. They drove away all the competition in a single rush. Their heads had a greenish hue and they elbowed and shouldered and pecked one another other chaotically as they ate. Pirates. They appeared to be at each other's throats as they pillaged the area, but they arrived and departed in one uniform, disciplined thrust as though they were of one mind.  A tight outfit indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment