Thursday, August 1, 2024

Back to the world

An e-mail arrives telling me to save the date for my 40th class reunion. What?, I say. The alarm clock wakes me for the third day in a row, and I immediately feel some measure (not that much) of anxiety and muscle tension take hold. I've noticed that I slip into combat mode almost imperceptibly on the roads during my commute. People I've been encountering are annoying and/or boring and they don't know when to stop talking and I can't just walk away from them anymore. My hair is almost entirely white now. Lately, I've been seeing Facebook photos of some of my contemporaries and they appear suddenly older which, of course, means so do I. 

I left the world for more than a year and am in the process of returning now. Re-entry has its challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment