Monday, January 27, 2020

A canal is not a river

We were married, and she was pregnant, shortly after I finished graduate school. I had no money saved or plans made to embark upon either of these two journeys. I came around to it though. She was young and beautiful, and the things we did together for a while felt very good. Under the circumstances, I guess we did what we were supposed to do : just kept going as nature (perhaps) had intended.

I remember being surprised by how well the wedding photos came out. I smiled in all of them and didn't look angry or crazy. She looked beautiful in all of them too, just over half way through the pregnancy. But in the photo I remember most, there's panic in her eyes. Like maybe it hit her just then, when the shutter clicked.

A few months later, I bought our first piece of new furniture. It was a wooden rocking chair purchased for her in accordance with a fanciful vision I'd had. She never sat in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment