Saturday, March 21, 2020

A Saturday To My Self

1. Morning

A round of check-ins.
No one is ill.
Indecision.
Procrastination.
Remain in place.
The sun is shining on an early Saturday afternoon.
Maybe another long walk in the woods.
Best I've got right now.

2. Afternoon

I walked in the woods for two hours this afternoon just to get out of the house. During the first hour, I saw no one else. Scarcely a bird. At the top of the second hour, I encountered a couple on the trail walking their dog. The dog seemed startled to see me. The couple, also startled, reigned in the dog and said hello. The young man said, "beautiful day, isn't it?" while scanning me for weapons.

I felt their presence as an intrusion.

A little later, a mountain biker passed below on another trail without seeing me. I was concealed by pine boughs watching his approach. I felt like a pale, pudgy mountain lion in late middle age. I contemplated taking him just because he was there and because there was nothing else to eat. Now, I'm sitting at the table drinking a beer and eating a Klondike bar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment