Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Eyes of love, it said

Things have changed since the weekend. Gyms, movie theaters, restaurants and bars are closing. Visitors to hospitals are being limited, but not stopped entirely, and this is causing concerns. A highly anxious doctor. The nurses and the CNA's laugh when they're together, but alone, they worry about what they might bring home. The patients are frail, demented, and I don't think they're thinking about this virus. I wonder what changes there will be today.

Outside, I've seen selfish eyes, suspicious eyes, eyes of fear. A voice tells me to show them eyes of love. I try to smile at people. There is a nurse in the doorway of the hospital screening people on their way in. She asks about cough and fever. She makes us sanitize our hands. While doing so, I sing "Don't stand, Don't stand so, Don't stand so close to me'. She laughs and seems relieved for a moment.

Reading about writing. Hemingway recommends writing one true sentence. A light snow fell overnight. That's true. I want to show you how the whitening of the ground and the bare branches
has changed the way it feels here. A few scattered flakes are falling. The sky is a little darker. It's very quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment