Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Historic

History is happening and I don't have anything profound to say. As a potential disease vector, I'm working from home today. Doing so made me instantly feel like I did when other marines were deployed into danger and I was not. I should be there with them.

You could focus your eyes on people hoarding toilet paper and trying to make a killing jacking up the price of hand sanitizer and come to the conclusion that we will be rightly annihilated by our greed and selfishness. You could also focus your eyes on the certified nurse's aide who comes to work every day to face untold abuse and exposure washing, wiping, lifting, comforting sick people who can not do it for themselves. She's not getting rich, she's not receiving appreciation, and she lives her days or nights on the front line. Coming in for a shift, especially at a time like this, for not much more than minimum wage is pretty damn heroic.

The first positive Covid 19 case has been identified in the small town I live in. I learned that at the barbershop in town, one of the few that haven't opted to close. I got my hair cut quite short in anticipation of not having access for awhile.

The barber said she thought the whole thing was exaggerated. I assured her it was not. Later she asked with a wry smile if I thought Chinese restaurants were taking a bigger hit to their business than the others. I could hear Fox news in between her words. I said people are stupid.

I won't be going back there. And I've never felt any sense of community in this town. But I'm still hoping they come through this.

Some of us will be larger people when it's over and some of us will be smaller.

Meanwhile, I'm starting to wipe my ass with onion skins. They're all that's left on store shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment