Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Out of an abundance of ...

The state I live in has declared a state of emergency as a result of about 50 people contracting the Coronavirus at a biotech conference. I take no issue with this. In fact, I don't really know what to think. Wash your hands, avoid crowds if you can, cover coughs and sneezes well, and don't freak out. That's the best I've got.

Stories of price gouging and hoarding are already circulating. Our president is a shit head incapable of empathy and unable to get beyond feeling the virus is treating him, personally, unfairly. Don't expect guidance or leadership there.

People haven't really started dying here. Right here, I mean. No one I know. So it's still easy to be a little flip and cavalier. It's not real to me yet, but it's certainly real in the objective sense.

Germans have a reputation for being kind of humorless. It's a stereotype. This morning, Chancellor Merkel announced that Germany can expect about a 70% infection rate. I thought that was cool. A rational leader telling the truth rationally to rational people so they know what to expect and can rationally prepare. We Americans seem incapable of facing reality without the aid of some escapist fantasy, blind panic, or viciousness. Asian friends are getting dirty looks and worse over here.

People are having fewer restaurant meals delivered. This I know for certain. Airfares for the daring have dropped significantly. It's a good time to refinance your home mortgage. Gloves and masks are disappearing from hospitals rapidly.

The powers that be have agreed to call this a worldwide pandemic, and I'm living exactly as I usually do. That is to say, marginally. Good luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment