Friday, March 27, 2020

Perspective

What's the purpose? 

You were going through that kind of thing back then. I felt like you were looking for some sort of ultimate, universal response that fit everyone.

You know, the truth.
The purpose of life is x. 

I didn't have that kind of an answer. Camus said something about life being essentially absurd. To find meaning, we have to make it. I agree with the Frenchman.

I'm furloughed. Sitting this thing out right now.
And because I am only sitting, the voice I hear says loud and clear, "The purpose is to help those who need it."

I am thinking about the people who are helping - a nurse putting that long wooden testing swab in people's throats, or the respiratory therapist removing an intubation tube from a newly deceased person, and the housekeeper that will have to change the sheets and clean that contaminated room.

The voice they hear says, "The purpose is to stay alive."

No comments:

Post a Comment