Sunday, April 12, 2020

Easter

Easter was a phone call to my youngest son and a message to pass Happy Easter on to his older brother and company. I texted my daughter. And I worked an eight and a half hour shift along with a Mexican born EAP professional who never once stopped talking. At least this broke the ice with a lot of the Spanish speaking workers who seemed more receptive to my presence after that.

For them, it's a twelve-and-a half hour shift of repetitive manual labor. They are picking, packing and loading individual orders of groceries and household goods. They are from all over Africa, the Caribbean, Central and South America. They work steadily, they don't complain. They socialize a little during breaks, maintaining an enforced social distance, heating their fragrant homemade meals in the break room microwave ovens. They worry. Some admit to having trouble sleeping. Some don't know what a virus is. My bilingual partner is more than happy to explain (at great length, employing many, many, muchisimas, words).

On my way out, I say, "Bon nuit, Mesdames," to two of the French speaking women from Central Africa, and their stoic faces brighten into smiles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment