Saturday, April 18, 2020

Sometimes spring snow breaks your back. Other times, it's a gift.

April snow. The dazzling white covering seen through the bedroom slider made me think of you the instant I opened my eyes. "Snowed in" together. Many of the details are blurred, but I remember making breakfast together, making espresso, making love. Time alone with you. You got restless after not very long and wanted to do something else, but I could have stayed right there happily for several days more.

That time I shoveled at least a foot of snow out of the entire driveway (you noticed!) while nervously waiting for you to arrive. And the time we woke to "harsh conditions" after the last of the heating oil had burned away. While you were sleeping, I covered you with every blanket I had. Then that time I was trying to get up the hill to your house on balding tires after a blizzard. You heard me cursing a quarter mile away. I'm a little ashamed of that one.

That was always a sacred thing to me though. Being invited into your home. The magical place you made and lived in with your loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment